RE: Emacs Windows barebin distribution

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs Windows barebin distribution
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 09:22:01 -0800

> > Emacs is for its users, not for its developers.
>
> On one hand, stopping releasing the barebin distribution does not
> really harm (most?) users; there's still the full distribution.
>
> On the other hand, it's not like removing the barebin target is hard
> to revert, should the user's outcry suggest that it was indeed a bad
> decision.

My point was about attitude and argument.  It was not about whether users would
actually be harmed by ending barebin distribution or whether it would be
difficult to undo any such harm.

Clearly, if the download data is available and easy to analyze, that would
pretty much answer the question of how much users really want/need this.  So I
supported Matthias's suggestion, if feasible.

But whether they do or do not does not change the falseness and blindness of the
rationale that just _because_ no users have chimed in on emacs-devel during the
last 7 months the user community must not want/need this.

Emacs-devel activity is not a very good measure of what users use/want/need.  It
is some measure, of course, but certainly not the best.

And in this case a very good measure was proposed.  And, unbelievably, it was
summarily dismissed/countered in favor of reliance on the much poorer measure of
emacs-devel activity.  That is the argument and the attitude I spoke out
against.