Re: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:47:10 -0500

On 11/19/2012 11:02 AM, Burton Samograd wrote:
Hello,

I've built emacs from git sources on a recent cygwin this morning and
when I try and run it, I get the following error on startup before it
crashes:

     ***MEMORY-ERROR***: [7588]: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes
        (alignment: 512): Function not implemented

This used to be a problem with the gtk build, for which the following workaround was put into emacs.c long ago:

#if defined (USE_GTK) && defined (G_SLICE_ALWAYS_MALLOC)
  /* This is used by the Cygwin build.  */
  setenv ("G_SLICE", "always-malloc", 1);
#endif

This is built with --with-x-toolkit=athena

My guess is that Cygwin doesn't support building with x-toolkit=athena (or else you don't have the appropriate devel packages installed). The build probably then reverted to the default gtk, but USE_GTK wasn't defined, so the code above didn't get invoked. I'm guessing, because I can't tell anything from the config.log fragment that you attached, and I don't have time right now to dig into the code or to try a build with x-toolkit=athena myself.

Ken