Re: Emacs24 coding system problems

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: Emacs24 coding system problems
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:58:04 +0000

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> Is that strange behavior related to encoding and decoding non-ASCII
> characters in any way?

I can't say either way definitively.

To give a rough idea of what is happening, when I open an IMAP folder in VM,
it loads the cache folder that has only mail message headers.  Then it
fetches the body of the "current message" from the IMAP server and inserts
it in folder buffer at the right place based on the markers that have been
placed there when the cache folder was first parsed, and displays it to the
user.

The message body is getting inserted at wrong places, which means that the
markers are off somehow.

The folders are all unibyte ASCII buffers.  I was testing it with the
current message getting fetched is also ASCII.  So, the problems are arising
with unibyte buffers.

When I load uncompiled code of VM or place debug-on-entry on the relevant
code, the behaviour changes.  So, it isn't easy narrow down where the
problem is.

The markers are also off in the Summary window, which is a multibyte buffer.

What is worse, the problems are only noticeable at the very beginning of the
Emacs session.  They are not happening consistently throughout the Emacs
session.  So, I have to restart Emacs every time I want to try something
different.

Cheers,
Uday