Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 13:44:30 -0500

        [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

    > 25 years ago I hoped we would extend Emacs to do WYSIWG word
    > processing.  That is why we added text properties and variable width
    > fonts.  However, more features are still needed to achieve this.
    >
    > Could people please start working on the features that are needed?

    1. What would you recommend as the backend format?

It would be good to support several, including some use of HTML, ODF, and
maybe Texinfo.

    2. Do you consider Orgmode - a text markup format - as a "Word Processor"?

I don't know how to use Org mode, and don't know what it does (it
seems to do so many things), but if it displays through Emacs then
there are many formatting features that it can't display in a WYSIWYG
fashion like Libre Office.

    3. Can someone more familiar with internals of Emacs write-up a
       statement or two on what *specific* features are needed to move
       towards the "Word Processor" world.

It would be useful to make a list of them.  Would someone like to?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation