Re: [Emacs-diffs] xwidget 9fe732a 2/2: Better changelog for xwidgets

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] xwidget 9fe732a 2/2: Better changelog for xwidgets
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 02:53:20 -0800

address@hidden wrote:
Given the above, maybe you should revert the merge. Then squash all
>commits in xwidget into one patch, amend it with proper ChangeLog
>entries, and then do the merge.

Perhaps that would be best.

Yes, please do that.  Here are some other things to do before committing the
merge.

* Reindent as per GNU standards. Start with "indent -gnu" but it won't do a perfect job. E.g., say "char *p" not "char* p".

* Fit it into 80 columns.

* Use GNU style for comments. These should typically use complete, imperative sentences.

* Configure with "./configure --enable-gcc-warnings --with-xwidgets --with-x-toolkit=gtk3" and fix all the warnings.

* It's OK to assume C99 now.

* Don't make functions extern unless they need to be extern. Compilers do a better job with static functions, typically.

* Some of those function names are too long; please shorten them.

* A lot of the printf statements look like they shouldn't be there.

* There's some commented-out code that should be removed.

* Omit pointer casts that aren't needed (when casting to and from void *).

I started to look into all that and came up with the attached patch, relative to commit 9fe732a02afbe0b3d4a85d2bcae687900ab881f7; please have a look. But the result still doesn't compile due to warnings and I'm sure I missed a lot of things. I hope you can finish the job. (Also, the ChangeLog entries need to be written -- I started on that but it's a big job and it's something the author of the patch really should do.)