Re: Multiple checkout copies

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: Multiple checkout copies
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 17:42:40 +0000

 >> I don't use it myself, as 'git clone' is plenty fast and avoids some
 >> problems when multiple branches trying to update the same
 >> repository.

 > Doesn't 'git clone' download a copy of the whole repository?
 > I thought that is what it did.

        When applied to a /local/ repository, – it doesn’t.  Say, the
        following will clone an existing emacs-1 working directory into
        a new emacs-2 one, also setting up .git/objects/info/alternates
        under the latter pointing to emacs-1/.git/objects, so that all
        the Git commits available under the first are also available
        under the second.

$ git clone --shared emacs-1 emacs-2

        The branches and tags of these two working copies are entirely
        independent, however.

        The --shared option is the default when both the source and the
        target directories are on the same filesystem.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A