Re: Defending GCC considered futile

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Defending GCC considered futile
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 09:12:46 -0500

> LLVM was first relased in 2003, Clang was opened up in 2007 (but is
> likely a bit older).  Those aren't young projects by any standard, and
> I doubt their sheets are particularly clean by this point.

Compare that to the age of GCC, and while I agree it's had time to grow
warts, it's still much cleaner than GCC and its structure is much better
adapted to current compiler technology needs.

GCC has also changed quite a bit during all those years, and not only by
accruing "stuff" but also by internal redesigns, which helped it stay
"on top of its game", but from the point of view of a someone wanting to
add some new optimization/feature, the technical attractiveness of GCC
is no match to LLVM.  Licenses and "control" have absolutely nothing to
do with it.

        Stefan