Re: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 09:29:34 -0500

> From what I understand, this work-around is an illustration of the
> point, rather than a solution: when someone presses C-x b, they want
> to change the buffer displayed in the current window.  They do not
> want to have to switch to  another window/frame before that, and they
> do not want to see the desired  buffer appear in a random window.

I introduced "softly dedicated" windows for that kind of situation:
a "softly dedicated" window would not be chosen normally when Elisp code
wants to display some buffer somewhere, but if the user does `C-x b'
then the "soft dedication" gets overruled.

I know Martin doesn't like this concept, but in any case, if we could
try and arrange for gdb-mi to mark its windows as softly dedicated,
I think it would solve your use case.

        Stefan