Re: Defending GCC considered futile

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Defending GCC considered futile
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 21:27:55 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:41:27 +0100
>
> Most STL structures are also sort of a nuisance to examine in gdb.

Use Python or Guile for that.  Python scripts to do that float around,
AFAIR.

> I don't actually have any point of comparison, but I would imagine that
> closer ties to a compiler could help here.

Red herring: GDB is as closely tied with GCC as possible in this
respect.  All the problems with <optimized out> etc. are GCC
bugs/misfeatures or insufficient expressive power of DWARF debug info,
which simply cannot describe accurately enough where a variable is
held at some values of PC.