Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:08:23 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
A well-designed set of APIs between Emacs and modules will avoid this
and other similar problems.  This has already been done at least
twice, in 2 different ways: in Make and in Gawk.

Sure, but the cffi/libffi approach has seen a lot more uptake than that: GCC, CPython, OpenJDK, PLT Scheme, etc., etc. It's quite a well-trodden path.

we have only one problem: design and implement a minimal set of
APIs necessary for modules to work, and keep it minimal.

cffi/libffi provides a good framework for that, no? Why reinvent the wheel? Because that's what we'd need to do, when designing this new emacs.h file.