Re: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 21:25:23 -0500

> 1. The package list is ginormous and growing.
> 2. There are duplicate entries galore.
> 3. There's no useful sense of categories. (we have keywords,but see below).
> 4. Are there other points that people feel can be improved?

Indeed, that's a known problem.

> I can see myself writing something to improve 2.

Great, go for it.

> Any solution for 3 would also be a solution for 1, but I'm not sure what
> that would be.

1 and 3 are pretty closely related and are the main issue for me.

My best idea so far would be to write a "filter" command which would
work as follow:
- you type in the minibuffer some word
- the word is matched against the packages's descriptions and keywords.
- as you type the word, the list of packages gets filtered to only those
  that match.
- as you type the word, a list of possible completions is
  displayed, in icompletion-mode style.

        Stefan