Re: Noisy byte compilation on master

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Noisy byte compilation on master
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 22:11:19 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> The bigger problem is that now I get a ton of warnings during CEDET
>> compilation because you use 'labels' instead of 'cl-labels', but with
>> good reason, as the commentary says. Not sure what to do about that...
>
> Try the 100% untested patch below, which should silence those warnings.

Thanks, it works.

The next problem are those "Obsolete name arg 'foo' to constructor"
messages. I cannot simply omit the names as this won't work with older
EIEIO.

I'm also trying to get the CEDET tests to work with latest Emacs. One
reason they break is that `child-of-class-p' does not accept symbols
anymore. This here

  (require 'ede/proj-elisp)
  (child-of-class-p 'ede-proj-target-elisp 'ede-target)

used to work fine, but now `child-of-class-p' has those cl-check-types
in it. Is that on purpose?

>> The alternative would be that built-in ELPA thingy, but that's not
>> available yet.
>
> I really hope we can get this "bundle some ELPA packages in the tarball"
> working for 25.1.
>
>> Also, if I understand you correctly, this would mean that
>> core packages cannot depend on CEDET.
>
> Indeed, that'd be the downside.

A pretty major one, I would say. CEDET is more like a framework than an
application. It'd be a shame if no core package could depend on anything
from it.

>> However, the advantage would be that I could ditch a beloved pet-peeve
>> of mine, namely editing that file that shall not be named (hint: it
>> logs changes).
>
> The ChangeLog should disappear from master "any time now", so this
> should be resolved in any case soonish.

That's not what I mean. CEDET has generated its Changelog from the
commit logs for years. The problem is that this generated Changelog has
to be *heavily* edited to confirm to the strict standards that are
required. For instance, there's the requirement that changes have to
appear under the date they entered Emacs trunk, and that you should not
have several entries from the same author for the same day. So you have
to look over all the changes from your merge and combine those that
affect the same files/functions/variables. Then there's the problem that
the Changelog will also contain changes from files that are only
upstream, which you'll have to delete. And on top of that, CEDET's files
are scattered across the Emacs codebase, affecting many different
Changelogs: not only that for 'lisp/cedet', but also 'lisp/emacs-lisp',
'admin', 'etc', 'doc', and there's even one for 'test'! So I have to
make sure to sort the entries into the correct Changelogs. All of this
is a *huge* pain, and - I'm sorry, but I have to repeat myself here -
for something I find to be not only useless, but even hurtful to the
quality of the commit messages of the project. If moving to ELPA gets
rid of Changelogs *completely* (meaning, also in the commit logs), that
would be big incentive for me to consider leaving Emacs trunk, although
I'd consider that a loss for Emacs core.

-David