Re: include new package wconf.el in GNU ELPA

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: include new package wconf.el in GNU ELPA
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 15:56:03 +0200

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> Say I have just a single window with *scratch* and point at
>> (point-min).  I save that window config to a register.  Now I split
>> windows, and some of the windows still show *scratch*, but in there I
>> moved point to (point-max).
>>
>> What I like to have was that `C-x r j
>> <the-register-with-initial-wconf>` went back to the single-window
>> displaying *scratch* layout but the last recent point value would
>> stick to (point-max) instead of going back to (point-min).
>
> IIUC you eventually go to a window that was not part of the initial
> configuration and there you move `point'.  Then you restore the initial
> configuration and that last movement's value is lost.

Yes, pretty much that.  I don't have a real concept of a window other
than a container for a buffer so I can't tell if a window W1 in window
configuration WC1 is different to a window W2 in window configuration
WC2.  All I want is that when switching from WC1 to WC2, all buffers
which are displayed by some window in both WC1 and WC2 keep their window
point values from WC1.

Of course, there are corner cases like some buffer being displayed in
multiple windows in WC1 and/or WC2 which I haven't thought about yet.

> I'm afraid that want you want cannot be achieved easily.  In principle
> we'd have to record for each window the last position of its buffer's
> `point' at the time the window was selected together with a time
> stamp.

I think I'm fine with just the windows that are currently visible at the
point in time where the window config switch happens.

> When restoring the configuration we'd have to, for the selected
> window, check whether its `point' should be moved to some youngest
> previously stored position.  What if the window where the last move
> occurred was deleted before restoring the configuration?

When I deleted it, then I don't care about it.

> What if `point' moved at a time no window showing the buffer was
> selected?

Then I didn't move myself so that move is not interesting to me.

Bye,
Tassilo