Re: delete-other-frames

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: delete-other-frames
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 11:07:28 +0200

> Possibly related: from emacs -Q,
>
> C-x b * RET ;; create and switch to buffer "*"
> M-x ediff-buffers RET RET RET ;; ediff buffers "*" and "*scratch*"
> ;; Now attempt to close the main Emacs frame using the window manager
>
> This gives:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Attempt to delete a surrogate
> minibuffer frame")
[...]
> I've never been sure whether this deserves a bug report, or what
> should be the expected behaviour. FWIW when this happens my intention
> is usually to kill Emacs. In any case the error message isn't very
> user friendly.

The ediff Control Panel frame is an oddity.  OT1H, for navigation, it
detracts user input from the main frame and OTOH uses the main frame's
minibuffer window for echoing.  IMHO the Control Panel should appear on
the main frame by default.  But I'm afraid that many users already got
used to the current behavior.

In any case this and similar scenarios show that "surrogate minibuffer
frames" should be of the minibuffer-only type.

martin