Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:04:24 -0500

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Phillip Lord
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I have no idea what percentage of those commits are actually necessary
>>> -- the unfortunate reality is that you can only test this with a full
>>> bootstrap build which is something that most developers do rarely.
>>
>> My guess is that with the smaller ldefs-boot-auto it will be necessary
>> more often. But maybe not enough to matter, hard to say.
>
> Actually, it should be *necessary* exactly as often as now. We need a
> certain number of autoloads to bootstrap. Both ldefs-boot-auto and
> ldefs-boot provide these. But ldefs-boot provides many more as well.

Yes, and sometimes the extra ones that ldefs-boot provides could
become necessary. In that case there wouldn't be a need to regenerate
because they're already there. When using ldefs-boot-auto we would
need to regenerate.

Does that sound right?

>>> Does it? bootstrap-clean and bootstrap-build cannot be run in parallel
>>> anyway.
>>
>> Right. And I think the definitions you put would let make run them in
>> parallel, thus breaking things.
>

> bootstrap: | bootstrap-clean bootstrap-build
>
> ?

I think it should be

bootstrap: bootstrap-clean bootstrap-build
boostrap-build: | bootstrap-clean