Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 13:44:14 -0800

DC> It's not an ultimatum: I'm merely being up-front about the that work I am
DC> willing to do and the work that I am not willing to do. I am not willing
DC> to work on this code in a branch, because if I do, it is very likely that
DC> this code will never be merged --- just like the concurrency branch.

BTW, the concurrency branch has the green light. If anyone is willing to work
to resolve its remaining issues, they can merge it to master once ready.

DC> Putting this code on a branch is burying it. Do you want to reject code
DC> that *exists* and that solves real problems on the basis of one
DC> developer's philosophical objections and preference for code that does not
DC> exist, that nobody has signed up to write, and that I insist will never
DC> perform adequately? How disappointed do you want to make people who've
DC> written working code that solves real problems?

Until you're code is tested on more platforms, it needs to live someplace
other than master. That's what branches are for.

I agree with Eli that it doesn't need to be merged *today*. However, I also
agree with RMS, and you, that at least it's a working solution (to some
extent), so if we can't think of something better during the time you're
ironing the wrinkles out, it ought to go in until we do.