Re: VC menu ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC menu ?
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2017 10:04:59 +0300

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 10:25:56 +0900
>
>  We are trying not to put too many items on the top-level menu, since
>  various modes add their own items. For example, Dired adds 5 items.
>
> I saw that. Wow. Maybe modes should be limited in the number of menu slots
> they use...

I see no reason for a one-fits-all restriction.  Of course, every
specific case should be judged on its own.  In this case, we should
ask heavy users of Dired whether they need all of those on the top
level, and see what they respond.

> Re. VC vs dired, I guess VC would not be in the top menu when Emacs is in
> Dired mode (is there a used for
> vc-ing a directory buffer ?)

I'm actually unconvinced VC warrants its own top-level menu item.
AFAIR, it's in "Tools" in every IDE I ever saw, so Emacs is not the
odd one out here.  Also, why should that be more important than, say,
"Compile" or "Shell command" or "Compare"?  That this particular
community is a heavy user of some VCS doesn't yet mean we should skew
Emacs to our specific needs, especially since most of us hardly ever
use the menus anyway.

> And really, Dired should use a master menu item and put all it's stuff there.

I think this would make that master item very long and deeply nested.