Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 17:22:37 +0300

> From: Alex <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2017 16:38:44 -0600
>
> Why did you choose the name line-number-display-width over, e.g.,
> display-line-number-width? It seems every other related variable has a
> prefix of display-.

Not every other one: the faces start with line-number.

Is the name that bad?  It sounded right at the time, but if others
think it might confuse, we could rename it.

> P.S. I was thinking about how a minor mode for this should be
> implemented. I attached a proof of concept, which includes a couple
> extra variables to achieve line number width behaviour similar to
> linum/nlinum. What do you think?

Looks okay, although I'd drop the # part in the below:

  (add-hook 'pre-command-hook #'display-line-numbers-update-width nil t))

Thanks.