Re: Native line numbers, final testing

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Native line numbers, final testing
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 14:09:00 +0700

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Why not just right-align line numbers?
>
> I don't think I understand the idea, please elaborate.  E.g., what
> will be to the left of the leftmost digit?

A “specified space” of width equal to the difference of the pixel
widths of the line numbers area and the current line number? If Emacs
does not have a notion of right-aligned text output, that is. Which
would be surprising in an application that supports RTL, but what do I
know.

> Please also don't forget that in R2L paragraphs the numbers appear on
> the right.

I am assuming that the motivation for aligning line numbers is the
same as for other columns of numeric data: putting digits of the same
order of magnitude under each other (as long as the font is
fixed-width wrt digits; otherwise, add “roughly”). This does not
change for Arabic and Hebrew, where, as far as I know, decimal numbers
are still written with the most significant digit to the left. So it
makes sense to me to right-align these too, although I’m not closely
acquainted with R2L typographic conventions.