Re: Native line numbers, final testing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native line numbers, final testing
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 05:38:56 +0300

> From: Alex <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:03:15 -0600
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Alex <address@hidden>
> >> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> >> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:22:51 -0600

> >> Sure, but I maintain in this case that it does mean identical to the
> >> default face's font.
> >
> > I don't understand why, and I don't think I agree.
>
> I don't see a single reason to make it different.

It's for when the default face uses a variable-pitch font, as I
believe I already explained.

And instead of repeating the same arguments again and again, I think
we should simply agree to disagree, and wait for others to offer their
opinions and experiences about this.

> >> (insert (propertize "hello there!" 'face 'fixed-pitch))
> >>
> >> This text increases along with the default face with "C-x +". Why does
> >> the same not apply to the line-number face?
> >
> > I don't know.  Feel free to investigate and publish the findings.
>
> Well, it definitely seems like a bug to me. text-scale-mode uses
> face-remap-add-relative on 'default, but I don't see why this would
> cause an issue. The manual states that any 'unspecified attributes mean
> that the attributes are taken from the default face, so I don't see why
> adding :inherit 'default should even make a difference.
>
> Perhaps I should file a bug report?

I don't think I understood what you consider a bug here.  Face
attributes are calculated when the face is created, they are not
updated whenever the default face changes.