Re: master d014a5e: Use fixed-pitch font for display-line-numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master d014a5e: Use fixed-pitch font for display-line-numbers
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 22:49:19 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 02:17:31 +0700
> Cc: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:02 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> Having three different typefaces for the buffer text, line numbers,
> >> and menu bar, is just offensive.
> >
> > You forgot tooltips and the font used for the caption bar.
>
> Usually(?) same typeface, possibly different color and/or size and/or weight.

Maybe in the GTK build, if you let GTK handle tooltips and all the
rest.  But not in general.  E.g., tooltip.el has:

  (defface tooltip
    '((((class color))
       :background "lightyellow"
       :foreground "black"
       :inherit variable-pitch)
      (t
       :inherit variable-pitch))
    "Face for tooltips."
    :group 'tooltip
    :group 'basic-faces)

That's nowhere near fixed-pitch (or any other monospaced face).

And at least on my system, both menus and the caption bar use a
variable-pitch font that is different from the one used in the
tooltips.