Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 11:44:34 +0200

On Sun, Jul 16 2017, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> We could add a face to be used for each line number that is a multiple
> of some number N, which could be specified by the user, if enough
> people would like such a feature.

That would actually be more than enough for me.
I often use line number transiently, I don't use linum all the time.

For example, I rebound M-g M-g to:

(defun goto-line-with-feedback ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((display-line-numbers t))
    (goto-line (read-number "Goto line: "))))

as often, when you need to jump to a line number, you'd like to see more
context. Here performance is secondary, and banding does help:

https://www.thregr.org/~wavexx/tmp/2017-07-17T113633.jpg

My main gripe with linum/nlinum aside from the performance was that it
often has glitches in several modes. So far, I didn't have any trouble
with display-line-numbers.

> But I don't think it's a good idea to call a Lisp function when we
> produce line numbers, as that would slow down redisplay too much.
> Don't forget that redisplay is called for even the simplest
> operations, like cursor motion commands, and in many cases it will
> have to call that function for (almost) all the lines visible in the
> window.

I see the point.