Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads

From: Nikolaus Rath
Subject: Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 13:21:42 +0200

On Jul 20 2017, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Paul Rankin <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 01:58:29 +1000
>>
>> > AFAIK, the original author still owns the code he/she wrote, even
>> > after the assignment, and the authorship information is not lost by
>> > assigning the copyright.  If that is true, then your concerns are
>> > based on misunderstandings.
>>
>> I'm sorry to disagree with you, but no, if you assign copyright to
>> someone else, you no longer own the work. Hence why FSF licences the
>> work back to you.
>
> Yes, and after that, I still have my rights.

But not ownership. Owership entails you to certain rights, but having
these rights doesn't give you ownership.

> If you can still work on your code after the assignment, and can
> redistribute it at will under any conditions you like, then how is
> that different from ownership?

There's more to ownership that that. Incidentally, this is the reason
why the FSF would like to have it.

> If it looks like duck, walks like duck, and quacks like duck, then how
> can it be anything other than a duck?

By that argument, the FSF should have no need for copyright assignments
in the first place. The license should be enough.

Best,
-Nikolaus

--
GPG Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F