Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 3db388b: Speed up (format "%s" STRING) and th

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 3db388b: Speed up (format "%s" STRING) and the like
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 11:06:20 -0700

On 10/06/2017 10:49 AM, Kaushal Modi wrote:
what would be the simplest way to explain why it worked using the Makefile in hydra pkg, but not when installed via pacakge.el? Inspite of same (right?) .elc files?

The .elc files were not the same. However, I think that was a blind alley, as .elc differences can be benign. The diagnostic was output only when (format FOO) was called with a long FOO (greater than 235 chars, roughly) without any % directives in it, and where the (format FOO) call was either directly from bytecode or indirectly via channels that never used unbind_to. The Makefile approach didn't byte-compile one of the files that the package.el approach compiled, and I suspect that the different path to (lv-message "long format with no % directives") explained why I didn't reproduce the bug at first.