Re: Proposal: stack traces with line numbers

From: John Williams
Subject: Re: Proposal: stack traces with line numbers
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 08:00:42 -0700

I just remembered something else about weak hash maps that I forgot to
mention earlier. Most people who try to use weak references eventually
get burned by surprising nondeterministic behavior, but the design I'm
proposing has an interesting property I first learned about in the
context of the JavaScript WeakMap type: as long as the map's :test is
'eq and :weakness is 'key, and the map is only ever accessed using
gethash and puthash, nondeterministic behavior is impossible to
observe, because a given entry becomes eligible for garbage collection
precisely when it is no longer accessible using gethash. This property
allows you to effectively add a new field to certain instances of an
existing type without altering the type itself.