Re: Emacs on QNX

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs on QNX
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 19:37:54 -0800

Elad Lahav wrote:

In what sense doesn't it work? Can we work around this problem
automatically?

pkg-config doesn't exist.

Oh, by "don't work" you meant that you wanted Emacs linked to libxml2 even though you lack the pkg-config setup that ordinarily comes with libxml2 development environments. That is, Emacs still builds and runs, it's just that it doesn't automatically have an optional feature that you'd like to have, and you have to set two environment variables to get it.

I find the requirement to use pkg-config
for detecting libxml limiting, and I certainly don't like having to set
an unnecessary environment variable to force its inclusion. Is it not
possible to test for libxml with a simple test program, the way other
components are detected?

It's of course possible, but I'm not sure it's worth the maintenance hassle for us. We used to configure all libraries by hand but found that this was a real maintenance burden, and it was easier to rely on pkg-config to solve the problem (at least for newer libraries like libxml2). You have a solution that works for QNX and, I think it's unlikely that people on other platforms will run into the problem. If they do, we can revisit this issue.

Alternatively, you might consider installing pkg-config on QNX. That might simplify things for both of us.

http://wiki.ros.org/groovy/Installation/QNX#Install_pkg-config_via_pkgsrc