Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window;

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Add discussion of input focus handling to select-window; add select-frame-window
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 19:26:30 +0200

> From: Robert Weiner <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 12:04:03 -0500
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, martin rudalics <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> ​The main question I am trying to address is how to tell an Elisp programmer
> how to redirect user input to an arbitrary window.  Whether or not we have
> a specific name for this redirection, where user input goes changes when
> select-window is called within the selected frame.  So there is input focus
> which is frame-related but there is also window-related input redirection.
> My argument is that there needs to be one place to look to understand
> that.
>
> Maybe select-window is not the place, it just seems that programmers focused
> on
> handling windows would naturally look there.
>
> How and where would you explain this?

There's a node "Input Focus" in the ELisp manual.  What is missing
from it to cover what you want?

In my scheme of Emacs-ware, there's no such thing as "redirecting
input to a window".  Input is redirected to a frame, and then the
selected window on that frame is usually the one that reacts to user
input (I say "usually' because some input, like mouse gestures, can
operate on n on-selected windows).

> I read through parts of the Elisp manual.  The section on Windows does not
> explain
> how to redirect user input ot an arbitrary window.  The top-level on Frames
> does
> not either.  It is not until I get to the section on Input Focus that I get
> any
> helpful information on this and that section refers only to frames, not
> selected
> windows.

Then perhaps the only stuff that's missing is some appropriately
worded index entries that lead to "Input Focus", and maybe also short
notes with cross-references elsewhere in the manual.