Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi

From: Bastien
Subject: Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 19:04:43 +0100

Hi all,

thanks to Thomas' initiative and Nicolas' efforts, we now have Org's
documentation available as an .org file:

https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/raw/master/contrib/manual.org

We plan to use manual.org (or org.org) as the source file for Org's
documentation: editing Org file is easier than to edit .texi files,
and Org's current Texinfo exporter does a very good job at producing
an org.texi file that is equivalent to the one we have right now.

One drawback is that we will have to backport manual changes made in
Emacs' repo to org.texi into Org's manual.org file, but such changes
are rare enough that we think we can handle this.

In the long term, it would be nice to have more cli exporters for Org,
although pandoc already does a good job at converting an .org file to
a .texi file.

In any case, editing such a big manual directly in Org is great and
maybe this proof of concept will inspire other Elisp contributors to
write their documentation directly in Org.

Glenn suggested we'd share this with the list and I think it's a good
idea -- in case you foresee problems that we may not have adressed.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien