Re: Towards a WYSIWYG word processing (was: What improvements would be t

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Towards a WYSIWYG word processing (was: What improvements would be truly useful?)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 17:09:38 +0200

> From: John Yates <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 09:54:43 -0500
> Cc: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, John Wiegley <address@hidden>,
> address@hidden,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> I agree that styles as exposed in MSOffice and vaguely copied in
> LibreWord are not great.  Quite the contrary.  And I am sure that
> many users of today's crop of word processor would concur.
>
> I was not arguing that Emacs should mimic that model.  What I am
> arguing is that those style models attempt to answer an actual need.

And my point was that I can manage very well without using any styles.
The reasons why I started doing that are mostly irrelevant to this
discussion.  What's important is that according to my experience, one
can write reasonably well formatted documents without ever touching
any styles.  Which means that Emacs with advanced text-formatting
features can be very useful even if it doesn't support style sheets of
any kind.  (Of course having styles would be even better.)