Re: Variable-width font indentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable-width font indentation
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 18:21:15 +0200

> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 11:05:13 -0500
>
> On 2018-03-09 03:34, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Do people think adding a per-buffer space-width variable would be a
> > good step in this direction?  It should be easy to add, I think.
>
> It does sound convenient.  Will it apply only to leading whitespace, or also
> to inter-word whitespace?

I'd say it should apply everywhere.  It would be confusing to have SPC
take a different number of pixels depending on where it is.

> Also, do we need it on the C side?  It sounds fairly easy to achieve with
> existing tools like font-lock + display properties.

Display properties have the disadvantage that they cannot be easily
saved.  Basically, having this in the display code is convenient for
the same reason the TAB display is handled in C.