Re: macOS support

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: macOS support
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 16:41:17 +1100

I'm not a big fan of Apple either, but do use it (primarily because employers are more willing to support/allow Apple than Linux and I just can't do windows, so lesser of two evils really).

However, I have upgraded my old mac mini to High Sierra with no problems. I can't remember when I actually purchased it, but from vague memory, it originally came with mountain lion, so that would be 10.8

I believe 10.12/10.13 are supposed to be supported on all mac mini, imac and macbooks from 2009 models onwards.  My macmini is slow, but it was always slow. I do run Emacs on it.

Tim

P.S. I also will be putting Debian on my Mini at the end of this year.

On 26 March 2018 at 13:14, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Generally speaking Emacs and other GNU projects shouldn't bother supporting
> platforms that are no longer supported by their original issuers.

While I agree with this, by and large, there can be good reasons not to
follow this rule when we disagree with the issuers.

> For example, starting in 2014 we no longer needed to bother to support
> IRIX, because SGI no longer supported IRIX.

This a good example: I think SGI made a pretty good effort of supporting
IRIX for as long as it could make sense, so I'm fine with dropping IRIX
support at the same time as SGI.

> As I understand it, Apple itself supports only the last three or four macOS
> versions.

Note that the issue is not really software support but hardware support:
Apple is pretty aggressive about dropping support for old hardware in
its newer OSes.  They could make OSX 10.11 work on my old macmini but
decided it would be counterproductive for their business.

        Stefan

--
regards,

Tim