Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Pip Cet
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 08:46:48 +0000

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 4:15 PM, Pip Cet <address@hidden> wrote:
> inline void staticpro(Lisp_Object *ptr, Lisp_Object initial_value)
> {
>   assume(*ptr == Qnil);
>   real_staticpro(ptr);
>   if (initial_value != Qnil)
>     *ptr = initial_value;
> }

Okay, GCC doesn't appear to optimize that expression by default, but
I've attached a patch which does keep stripped binary size constant.

It reduces C code size a little, avoids the ambiguity of whether
staticpro or the initialization goes first, removes the Qnil == 0
assumption from a few places and generally seems like a slight
improvement to me. Totally independent from the pdumper patch, of
course. (And I'd prefer the pdumper patch to go in first.)