Re: show-enclosing-scopes

From: Jefferson Carpenter
Subject: Re: show-enclosing-scopes
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 18:35:54 +0000

On 5/18/2018 9:02 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Here, it flickers only in the scroll-bar area, and that is expected,
since you delete the scopes window and then recreate it -- this has to
redraw the scroll bar, and will necessarily flicker.

Updated so that it no longer deletes the window and re-creates it quite so many times - namely it no longer requires a pre-command-hook.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jeffersoncarpenter/emacs.d/master/show-enclosing-scope.el

Where does it flicker on your system?  And what OS is that, with what
toolkit?

Good news, it doesn't flicker any more since I removed window deletion in the pre-command-hook. In fact, there are no outstanding bugs as far as I know.

(The next step now is to make it more intelligent about what lines to show inside the minimap window. Currently it does it purely based on indentation, which is not optimal in many cases.)

Btw, you have a bug in show-enclosing-scope--split-window: it doesn't
call set-window-buffer on the "base window", so the fringe, and
probably also the right margin (if it has to be non-empty) are not
redrawn when the window is split.

That's true -- don't tell anyone but I literally copied and pasted the code for creating and deleting the window from sublimity-mode, so I don't know if the code regarding margins and fringes is correct or not in my case. I haven't had a problem with it, but I need to look into it.