Re: rar 7z for dired-compress-file-suffixes and dired-compress-files-ali

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: rar 7z for dired-compress-file-suffixes and dired-compress-files-alist
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 18:43:10 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:09:36 +0200
>
> I have set these variables for me in order to support these formats
> (provided that the relevant rar and 7z programs are installed)
> accordingly and I could provide a patch. But I would like to know,
> whether there are copyright issues, when adding these external programs.

Yes, AFAIK the full-featured versions that run on Windows are not Free
Software, and the Free variants are not capable of opening archives
one finds nowadays.

But I think you could use bsdtar (from libarchive) which is Free
Software, at least for 7z.  (I never tried, so I don't know how
capable it is.)