Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs Hangs on Filesystem Operations on Stale NFS
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:09:03 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>> Isn’t that what TRAMP does behind the scene, though?
>
> Indeed, and someone could write an "NFS file name handler" so you could
> use something like "/nfs:<host>/...".  It might even be reasonably easy
> for Tramp to provide that (since I believe GVFS supports NFS access).

I'm not quite sure whether your proposal is just rhetoric. In case you
mean it seriously: GVFS ought to have an nfs backend, called
gvfsd-nfs. See gvfs(7). But it doesn't seem to be installed by default,
at least Ubuntu's gvfs-backends package does not contain it. (It seems
to be distributed by Debian's gvfs-backends package, 'tho).

However, I don't believe it is necessary to use GVFS. Something like the
mock method in tramp-test.el, slightly adapted, would serve already, I
believe.

> But it won't help when Emacs accesses to NFS files via normal OS calls
> rather than via Tramp.

Sigh.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.