Re: Distinguishing: Temporary v. Semi-Permanent -- Horizontal Scrolling

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Distinguishing: Temporary v. Semi-Permanent -- Horizontal Scrolling
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 19:40:58 +0300

> Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2018 09:16:01 -0700
> From: Keith David Bershatsky <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I have not seen an example where horizontal scrolling is semi-permanent (C-u
> C-x <) and the current line is scrolled differently from the rest.  For
> example, if w->min_hscroll is 4, shall I assume that the current line will
> always have the same amount of horizontal scrolling as all other lines in the
> visible window?

No, of course not.  Only the minimum amount of hscroll will be the
same for all the lines.

If auto-hscroll-mode is set to current-line, then typing "C-u 5 C-x <"
will hscroll all lines by 5 columns.  If you then move cursor so that
it gets too close to the right margin of the window, the current line,
and only that line, will be hscrolled by more than 5 columns, in order
to bring point into view.  The other lines will remain at their
5-column hscroll.

IOW, in this mode "C-x <" affects all lines, but only the current line
is scrolled more than that when needed.