Re: 27.0.50, (void-function with-buffer-prepared-for-jit-lock)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 27.0.50, (void-function with-buffer-prepared-for-jit-lock)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 09:37:27 -0400

> Okay. Should mean didn't compile elisp .el files into .elc

All files?  Some of the files?

>  All it means is that
>> you did something to use some uncompiled code somewhere, but without
>> clarifying what it is you did.
>>
>>> Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 1245) signaled (void-function
>>> with-buffer-prepared-for-jit-lock)
>>
>> So, apparently what you did was not right:
>
> Well, the question is if a general used function should depend from
>
> (eval-when-compile

The content of eval-when-compile is executed when the .el file is loaded
(it's not executed when the .elc file is loaded, because it's executed
when the .elc file is generated instead).

So, loading jit-lock.el will define with-buffer-prepared-for-jit-lock
just fine and hence not compiling jit-lock.el (like you seem to claim you
did) doesn't explain the error you got.

IOW, I still don't think you've actually described what you've done.
My guess is that you M-C-x (or eval-region or something like that) to
(re)evaluate a particular chunk of jit-lock.el.

And indeed, doing that doesn't always work right because of things like

    (eval-when-compile (require <foo>))

But M-x eval-buffer (or M-x load-file RET .../foo.el) normally works fine.

        Stefan