Re: Emacs i18n

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 11:39:50 -0800

On 3/6/19 10:09 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> we might consider marking
> strings that do NOT need to be translated, as they are a very small
> minority.  Just look at the strings in a typical Emacs source file and
> try to find strings that you wouldn't want translated.  Unlike some
> other programs, Emacs almost never says something that is not meant to
> be read and understood by the user.

My impression is just the opposite. Of course it depends on the module,
but I just now took a census of todo-mode.el (which I happened to be
editing anyway) and looked at the first 300 lines of source code (at
which point I got tired of counting). I counted 24 strings that should
not be translated, and 5 strings that should be. (I did not count doc
strings, which obviously should all be translated and shouldn't need to
be marked.)

Here are the strings needing translation:

"==--== DONE "
"DONE "
"Invalid value: must be distinct from `todo-item-mark'"
%s category %d: %s"
"Invalid value: must be a positive integer"

and here are the strings that don't need translation:

"todo/"
"\\.toda\\'"
"\\.todo\\'"
"--==-- "