Re: Emacs i18n

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 08:04:42 -0800

On 3/6/19 8:35 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> in most cases we shouldn't need to change the Elisp source code; all we need
> is for xgettext (or its equivalent) to consider the first argument of
> 'message' to be a translatable string. This is a standard feature of xgettext
> (see its --keyword argument).
> Yes but... The first argument of message is often a lisp expression

Of course; we are on the same page here. Most cases of 'message' should
be fine, but there will often be exceptions that we do need to rewrite.
These exceptions are not urgent: we can fix them as we find time.

> ps: what is the proper way to reply to this list ? Keep everybody in Cc or
> remove the Cc and only keep the list address ?

I typically just reply to whatever my email software defaults to.
Occasionally I'll remove a Cc if I think that particular person probably
won't care about my reply or I know the person is on a mailing list I'm
already replying to; but this is optional and takes time and I typically
don't bother.