Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:58:38 +0000

On Mon 11 Mar 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 11:48:14 +0100
>> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>
>> 2) What name do you suggest for this mode? I propose
>> display-column-indicator.
>
> display-fill-column-indicator-mode?
>
> Thanks again for working on this.
>
> P.S. Thanks to you, I just uncovered an old bug, whereby
> show-trailing-whitespace didn't work in R2L screen lines, and for the
> same reason: the code didn't account for the stretch glyphs inserted
> by the display engine at the left edge of such lines.

Isn't there some overlap with what Keith Bershatsky is doing ? It may be
worth discussing if there is any anything in common. His posts usually
start with:

  I am working on optimization of feature requests #22873 (multiple fake
  cursors) and #17684 (crosshairs that track the cursor position, and a
  visible fill column indicator).

His work on bug #17684 may be relevant.

    AndyM