Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Alp Aker
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:35:41 -0400

I'm sure users will find customizing a character much easier than
customizing an image.  In any case, I wouldn't give up on allowing a
character, even if we do support images, because there's no reason to
restrict users to images.  For example, a suitable selection of a
character could produce identical displays on GUI and TTY frames,
something that an image could never do.

I just wanted to expand on this point and clarify my motivations for chiming in on this discussion.  I'm very grateful Ergus is doing this work, as I've long felt that the functionality of fill-column-indicator can only be robustly implemented in the display engine.  I merely want to offer my experience as the author of what, until now, has been the main package providing this kind of functionality in order to make Ergus's work more successful.

When I first implemented fill-column-indicator I used a character-based approach and, overwhelmingly, the feedback I received from users concerned difficulties in finding and successfully configuring use of a font that would provide a seamless visual effect.  When I added the option to use XPM images (generated not by the user, but by the package, with customization options concerning color, thickness, etc.), users only seemed to make use of that.  I've never received a complaint from someone wanting to use the package on a system that didn't support XPM images.

   . Using the continuous line would cause complications wrt redisplay
     optimizations.  Redisplay of text is highly optimized in Emacs, and
     frequently needs to update only a small portion of the window.  The
     problem is what to do about the indicator line when only some
     portions are redrawn.
Unless I'm mistaken, the method I'm describing would allow the same
optimizations
Yes, but I was replying to a completely different idea.  What you
propose is just a trivial extension of the code posted here, so all of
the effort that went into that will still be valid, and most of my
message is not really relevant.