Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 16:23:53 +0300

В Вс, мар 17, 2019 at 4:14 ПП (PM), Tadeus Prastowo <address@hidden> написал:
On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 1:54 PM Philippe Vaucher
<address@hidden> wrote:
Now, the Emacs model is similar to the linux kernel dev & the git dev workflow, so obviously "it works fine" and has advantages too, but personally I think those are outweighted by the the disadvantages (or rather than the contribution experience is much nicer with gitlab).

IMO, I feel more comfortable with the current Emacs model because I
see less noise in the interface.  Furthermore, the current model
allows me to do my own way of automation against a stable simple
interface (plain-text e-mails and textual command lines have been
around for a long time).  This may not be welcoming to newcomers, but
I once was a newcomer in the Linux kernel dev but found nothing so
difficult about it.

The automation sounds a bit abstract, but I guess you still can do it if gitlab have enabled replying/opening of merge requests through mails.

Also, Linux kernel and git has "patchwork" site that essentially tracks open patch-series, versions of patches, comments to them, allows to download latest series… It is more advanced than just the mailing list as GNU Emacs has.