Who uses Icomplete-mode? Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b0e318d 2/2: Score fle

From: João Távora
Subject: Who uses Icomplete-mode? Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b0e318d 2/2: Score flex-style completions according to match tightness
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 15:13:17 +0000

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 2:50 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> + input is not a prefix match. E.g. M-x describe-variable, then input
> >> 'compst'. RET won't select the completion.
> > Never mind. It's the same with prefix completion if the input is not
> > a unique match and not a match itself.
> > I got too used to the Ido behavior.
>
> `icomplete-mode` gets you closer to that behavior.

It also brings considerable pain for someone very used to Ido,
though I've been trying to work on that.

Which brings me to a question I've been meaning to ask: who
here uses Icomplete-mode and just how attached are you to its
interface?

Switching from ido.el to icomplete.el, I miss:

- A less cryptic left side hint as to what the "current" matched
  thing is (in ido.el it's pretty obvious, in icomplete.el not so much)
- A way to have RET exit the minibuffer with the current thing, except
  when finding files, where it should just enter the directory (though there
  should always be a binding for exiting the minibuffer with whatever
  the current input is).
- A way to delete buffers and kill files effectively without leaving
  the minibuffer prompt.
- Eliminate the need for icomplete-compute-delay, using while-no-input
  or maybe threads.
- Maybe more

Some of these can be achieved through customization, and some
would probably need more work.  Moreover, if there aren't a lot of
people overly attached to the current interface, we could choose
some new defaults.

Otherwise, I'd propose a new icomplete-ido-emulation-mode with
some less horrible name.

João