Re: What is the proper way to scale fringe-bitmaps for high-DPI displays

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What is the proper way to scale fringe-bitmaps for high-DPI displays?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 05:32:21 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 17:17:16 -0400
>
> >> Oh, so Emacs' C code would scale the bitmaps? I expected the Lisp code
> >> would do that.
> >
> > Fringes are displayed in C.  Doing this in Lisp will produce
> > flickering, I'm afraid.
>
> I thought the C code would read the scaling factor and set the bitmap
> accordingly just once, when creating overlays or applying text properties.

But you were saying that a frame can move from a high-DPI terminal to
a low-DPI one, which seems to mean we cannot compute that just once.
And besides, there are fringe bitmaps that we display regardless of
any overlays and text properties (e.g., truncation and continuation
indicators), which are displayed directly from C.