Re: Using __builtin_expect (likely/unlikely macros)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Using __builtin_expect (likely/unlikely macros)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 08:22:36 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:

FWIW, the fact that a function is "_Noreturn" doesn't necessarily mean
that a call to it is unlikely (in many cases it is, I guess, but
definitely not all), so maybe GCC maintainers consciously decided not to
link the two.

Possibly they did. In hindsight I'd argue that was a mistake. If one has no other evidence about the likelihood of a branch, a branch to a _Noreturn call should default to being unlikely.

BTW I think instead of marking branches as likely or unlikely, I'd
prefer to tell GCC that some functions "should be slow"
(e.g. emacs_abort) so it optimizes the code paths that don't go through
those functions to the detriment of those that do.

GCC has the function attribute 'cold' for that. This is less intrusive than __builtin_expect and so would be preferable. Still, the GCC manual says that __attribute__ ((cold)) is ignored when profile feedback is available, which is another indication that people who care about performance should be using -fprofile-use etc. And as far as I know __attribute__ ((cold)) is rarely used: even glibc uses it only once, in obscure code never used on GNU/Linux. Presumably this is partly because the attribute didn't exist until about five years ago.