Re: Errors building from master with a clean repository

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Errors building from master with a clean repository
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 09:48:26 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 18:05:35 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > ./configure --enable-checking=all --enable-check-lisp-object-type \
> > CFLAGS='-Og -gdwarf-4'
>
> --enable-checking=all hasn't worked for a while. Although your email prompted
> me
> to write and install patches to fix multiple bugs in this area, the remaining
> buggy suboptions --enablechecking=conslist and
> --enable-checking=xmallocoverrun
> are more trouble than they're worth to fix, and should go. (GCC's
> AddressSanitizer has made both options obsolete anyway.) Please try the two
> attached patches and then try the above 'configure' line again.

If we remove these options, let's have reasonably detailed
instructions for how to use the alternatives.  Because this, for
example:

> ++++
> +** The configure option '--enable-checking=conslist' has been withdrawn.
> +It made Emacs irredeemably slow, and is no longer useful with modern
> +debugging tools.

is not detailed enough to be useful, unless one is already an expert
in using the modern debugging tools.  Can we please at least mention
specific compiler options and any other tools that could be used
instead of the built-in facilities we are removing?  Bonus points for
adding to etc/DEBUG a section with more details about the compiler
options, tools, and techniques of using them for debugging specific
Emacs problems for which these configure options were introduced.

Thanks.