Debbugs problems (was: [RFE] Migration to gitlab)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Debbugs problems (was: [RFE] Migration to gitlab)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 10:02:10 -0400

>> I understand. That's why I want to figure out whether we can add changes
>> to GitLab, so (almost) everything also can be done outside the
>> webbrowser, and from emacs. Or maybe build something like the debbugs
>> package for emacs.
> Personally, I think an Emacs client is almost a must, if we want to
> consider something like GitLab seriously.

I largely agree, tho if the interaction can all be done via git+email,
I'd be quite satisfied as well.

>> Probably the most complicated about the current bug tracker, at least
>> from irregular contributor's POV, is interacting to a existing bug:
>> Where do I send the email to? Who do I CC? How do I set In-Reply-To?
> In any decent MUA (certainly with Emacs MUAs), this is almost trivial:
> the defaults always DTRT.  You don't need to think about any of that.

I think this is not nearly as obvious: most users I know consider "reply
only to sender" as the normal way to reply (and look at "reply all" with
fear, because they never use mailing-lists).  Furthermore, while maybe
all it takes is "to reply", they likely don't know that and will end up
having to think about it.

Another problem of debbugs in my experience is that there's no way to
"subscribe" to a bug.

        Stefan