Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Alex Gramiak
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 16:23:03 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> My point was that an absolute majority of Emacs issues don't have a
> patch attached.  They describe a problem, and most of the reports
> don't even include a detailed analysis of the problem and its root
> cause.  A large part of discussing an issue is devoted to
> understanding the issue and then finding its cause.  Patches appear
> only after all that.
>
> So we must have a good support for a workflow that doesn't include any
> pull/merge request at its beginning, maybe even never.

Gitlab et al. would provide that, IMO. When there's no PR/MR at the
beginning, the topic is submitted as an "Issue" and given a unique issue
number. However, patches aren't submitted to the issue: rather, a new
PR/MR is created, given a unique MR number, and is linked with the
relevant issue(s). When the PR/MR is merged, any linked issues are
closed.

This means that the discussion gets separated into two parts: the
discussion about the issue/problem (kept in the "Issues" category), and
the discussion about the patch/solution (kept in the "Merge Requests"
category).