Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 12:09:14 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Amin Bandali <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 10:42:57 -0400
>>
>> Do I wish I could seamlessly and securely browse through the “modern
>> web” without leaving Emacs?  Of course.  But in lieu of that, I find
>> the next best thing for me is to have some resemblance of Emacs
>> (e.g. its keybindings) in IceCat while browsing, and having an addon
>> that would let me edit textareas in Emacs.
>
> Browsing the Web is one thing, using a browser to work on code is
> something very different.  I've learned Emacs many years ago to be
> able to do almost everything in a single integrated environment.  I'd
> prefer not to have to to go to another tool for a large and important
> part of what I need to do here.

Oh sure, I think we’re in complete agreement there :)

And to say something about the main topic of the thread (discussion
about use of GitLab for Emacs development), as myself and a few others
previously mentioned, Sourcehut [0] is a serious contender that could be
more readily suitable for Emacs development than GitLab, because of its
email-centric workflows and the optional and minimal web interface for
those that want it (rather than trying to shoehorn email integration on
top of a heavy web app as an afterthought, as in the case of GitLab).
But I shall not derail the focus of this thread’s discussion about
GitLab and its merits and features, and the desired features it still
lacks; especially since Sourcehut still has to mature a bit more to be a
considered as a replacement for all of Savannah or GitLab as proposed.
Regardless, I think Sourcehut is a promising forge to keep an eye on,
with workflows compatible with our existing ones.  I’ll likely bring it
up later when this discussion about GitLab gets somewhere (e.g. when we
get to a prioritized list of features desired by the “main” Emacs devs,
as well as by new/potential contributors).

[0]: https://sourcehut.org