Re: Towards a cleaner build: frameset

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build: frameset
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 11:50:28 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've never used register-val-*, so I have no idea what to do here...
>> anybody?
>
> The new style uses CLOS-style OO-programming instead.  I.e. the object
> you put into the register should have its own distinctive type
> (i.e. not `registerv`) and you define the print/jump/.. methods with
> `cl-defmethod`.
>
> So, here you'd want to use a cl-defstruct to replace the `(vector ...)`
> object and then use dispatch on this defstruct's type when
> cl-defmethod'ing the register-val-print/jump/... functions.
>
> Does that make sense?

It does indeed.

I tried to see whether there was anything that had already gone through
this transformation so that I could just cargo cult it, but apparently
not, and I don't use any of the packages that needs this transformation,
so I think I'll just leave it to somebody else to do the rewrite and
testing.